Monday, October 25, 2010

43 things about me

1. I often live in some place other than the present and mostly it is some faraway distant future.
2. I visit the past but not much, seldom to be precise. Sometimes some happy memories do trigger a sojourn into the past and sometime some not so happy ones.
3. When I was a kid I used to live in the present but a present that was very different than the one I would be in.
4. I was quite a lost child. I think I have carried that trait to my youth as well ;).
5. I used to read a lot. A bookworm. Still try to do, though not as much as but reading still is a first love.
6. I have the reading genes from both mom and dad.
7. I was an indoorsy kid, never much out and about, partly coz I was diagnosed with asthma very early on at 8 years of age.
8. I would be sitting in some corner of my own room, I wasn’t much fond of the bed and reading away.
9. I used to finish reading books at an alarming pace and would soon bug my parents to buy me more. Still do the former.
10. I got into bartering books in school, reading up books from the library whenever I could. All this reading led to a lot of day dreaming or so I believe.
11. Kid me would always be playing different situations and stories in my mind, and of course I would be the lead protagonist in all of these plots. Some of the plots were pretty elaborate.
12. Also I was very happy in my own fantasy world. This is not to say that I wasn’t friendly or popular but yes I had realized that I preferred my own company to that of others from a very young age.
13. Thankfully for me my parents let me be except the occasional push to socialize.
14. I found socializing a big burden even then.
15. I saw no point in being nice to people and smiling and making small talk when I could spend that time reading books, writing(yes I used to scribble lots of things by way of creative writing then too) or yes watching tv and day dreaming. These were my favorite pastimes.
16. The first thing that I wanted to be when I was young was a teacher. I really liked my teacher then.
17. I have always been a teacher’s pet and sometimes the affection was mutual.
18. Other kids hated me for being the teacher’s pet. And I loved being hated 
19. I still hold 2 sayings 2 of my teachers, at different points of time, had said to me very close to my heart.
20. The next thing I wanted to be was neuro surgeon or “brain surgeon” as I thought then. I have no clue why.
21. Sometime between 6-10 years of age I also wanted to be a writer. Still hold that desire somewhere deep in my heart.
22. My life was not uncomplicated though. My kiddy life was very happening. I always had a lot of performance pressure in terms of academics and I was also very competitive by nature.
23. Dad was more interested in my doing well in extra-currics. And I used to excel in that too. I have a ton of certificates to show for my efforts in my school life.
24. I grew up idolizing dad. Still do. Papa - you are my hero.
25. My mom was the biggest influence on me in my early life and I know a lot of me is her. Though it took me lot of time to realize that.
26. I call her twice everyday atleast. My day is incomplete if we haven’t talked.
27. My sister was my pillar of strength all through my childhood. She used to dote on me. I bullied her in return.
28. I was brought up like a single child. My sister lived with my grandparents.
29. She used to visit us during school vacations. We fought like crazy.
30. The worst fights were when she moved in with us when I was 17, she was a year older. But looking back, I couldn’t have done without her. Ever. Period.
31. This list suddenly doesn’t seem chronological. But what the heck, I didn’t mean it to be anyways.
33. I have changed a lot as a person from my childhood, to my teens, to my youth to whatever phase it is that a 28 year old belongs now.
34. I used to fiercely independent as a child, as a teen, as a gangly young adult, but now I am totally dependent on the apple of my eyes, my husband for emotional support.
35. I still think I don’t say it enough to him. So here goes – I love you… more 
36. I don’t know why this list reads like a life story. I didn’t intend it to be.
37. I moved around a lot as a kid.
38. The initial days used to be very difficult. But I was never afraid of change. I always used to look forward to it. Still do.
39. My illness(asthma) was a very convenient excuse for me not to participate in games and sports. However I was a tremendous sport. Always used to stand in for absentees on the field.
40. I won the badminton girls double champions in the eighth grade.
41. I also am lazy to the bone. And lose interest very quickly in people, places and things.
42. I have learnt classical dance-Odissi for two years. I say that I couldn’t continue coz Dad got transferred but the fact is I found it very tiring and after coming back from classes I would feign headaches so mom got worried and had me discontinue them 
43. The idea of putting together such a list is not original. I saw this in a blog I follow. I liked the style, but the content is original.

2 comments:

  1. People so seldom say I love you and then it's either too late or love goes. So when I tell you I love you, It doesn't mean I know you'll never go, I love you not because of who you are, but because of who I am when I am with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of who I am when I am with u.

    ReplyDelete