Monday, November 2, 2009

Nip in the air


I have always loved winter. Winter has this very cozy feeling about it. though winter has a lot of negative connotations in literature , I for one always loved it, moreso when I was a little kid. Winter brings cold with it but then that is the very reason we seek warmth and closeness. Winter afternoons bring with them a delicious sunshine. A light ,fluffy warm sunshine. I still remember , when I was around 12-13 , I used to scamper up to the rooftop with a novel and cozy up in a lazy chair with a sheet or two and then slowly fall asleep on it.
Winter mornings are the toughest though. Dragging oneself from the comfor of the quilt to the shower is very painful. the other less sweet thing about winter is the cold water if you don't happen to have hot water running from the taps. But maybe I wanted winter so much coz I always lived in places which got awfully hot and sultry in summer.
When I was in Chicago during winter for a short period of time My love for winter lessened a little. The first snowflake was exciting, I remember I danced during the first snowfall of the season in the middle of the night ,in bare legs and without a sweater. It felt like those fairy tales I had grown up reading about. beautiful and delicate snowflakes falling all around me and I gleefully danced oblivious to the cold.I very nearly had frost bite but that I guess was the magic of the first time. Slowly the white landscape added to the monotony and winter lost its sheen a little when I saw the harsh side of it.
Out here in Hyderabad , winter is currying favor with me agian. because here it just teases you . Its never too cold, not as yet anyways, for doing the typical wintry things, it just acts like an appetizer , leaving one craving for more.
Looking forward to winter in the city of nawabs, just to know how they felt when the temperatures dipped here.

2 comments:

  1. There used to be the romantic idea of 'gulabi jada' (rosy winter) back at my hometown which I always found very romantic! The rosy color it talks about is that of the leaves of trees that start turning red! It left a magical impression on me. Imagine walking down a foggy street lined with plush gulmohar on either side hand in hand with your beloved!

    ReplyDelete
  2. somehow , romance, rose,pink, winter , vibrant colors all go hand in hand , dont they? :)

    ReplyDelete