Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Cocunut Water man Part - I
First published on Facebook on
May 12, 2011


26th September 1995




Dear Diary,



I am so excited today, I turned 10. I didn’t have a big party like last year. You know we have just moved in to this locality, new school, I haven’t made that many friends as yet. I had worn my new dress to school. Bou had given me chocolate éclairs to give to We had a small party at home. Baba, bol and I. Bou had made all my favorite dishes. Luchi, alu dam au chena rabri. It was so tasty. Bou gave me a little doll, I have named her Dolly. Bou said that was a cute name, Baba just smiled. Baba gave me you. Journal. He said I had become a big girl and deserved a grown up gift. He said I could write anything to you, all my thoughts, my plans, my daily activities, anything. I think I am really proud of myself, Baba gave bhaina his first diary when he was 12. So that means something. Waise, Bhaina sent me a biiiig card and lots of chocolates, I had told him I wanted a pink princess dress just like the one Soni has, but that is just like him. He is total sadu. Will never get me what I want. Well don’t be too disappointed if I don’t write much, I will try to. You know I have a lot of catching up to do at school. I have joined late and First term is next week. Acha bye bye and good nite, I am very tired now and also sleepy. Tomorrow is Wednesday and We have Arts class, Ohh how I hate it.



27th September



Today was a bad day at school, I as usual made the worst drawing. I was so bored. I don’t like drawing at all. I like singing much better. I wish they could let me swap my arts class with music. But Reema is so good at drawing. She also helped me. None of the girls, speak to me much. They all have their groups. First day only Sangeeta asked me which group you want to join. I like a stupid fool said I want to be friends with everyone , she laughed at my face. And now I have no friends L. But Reema seemed nice. I think she too is not part of any group. She does hang out with Meera and gang but most of the time she is alone. I don’t like being alone but I don’t want to be friends wth those girls either,I hate them all. Baba says I must make should take the initiative. Well if baba says then it must be right. I miss my old school and my friends. I think I will go write a letter to Lucy, My best friend. Bye



28th September



Our maid, sakhi, is a total mad. She will say the most weirdest things. Bou to even believes her. Bou says village folk have their own beliefs and we must respect that. Baba says the cure to all her nut talk is education. Today she said her son was ill because he has caught the evil eye. I laughed on her face and bou pinched me in the hand. It hurt. It is still red, well not red but definitely pink. Ok ok bye.







6th October



Yippee yippe yay. First term exams got over today. But no break. Monday se back to school. But atleast today Bou won’t be after my life to study. Today I can just read my story books, Watch tv, Baba might even take me out tonight. I love when exams get over.la la la .



9th October



Dear Diary,



Looks as if I might finally be making one friend. Today Reema and I shared our lunch boxes. And we walked back together from school. She lives in the same neighborhood as I do. She is quite nice. A little quiet but. Not a chatterbox like me. I noticed someone on the way back though. There was a man selling coconut water at the turn of our lane. I don’t like the way he looks. He is very dark. Has a thin moustache. I hate moustache. It only looks good on baba. Well He looked like Ravana. I said that and Reema just giggled. Well I hope he goes away from our lane.



11th October



Dear Diary,



I didn’t go to school today coz I had a bad tummy ache in the morning, actually the truth is I didn’t go coz today Teacher had said she would announce maths results. I was just so nervous. I know my paper was good but I was just very nervous. And today our maid Sakhi again said the most weirdest thing ever. She was saying things to bou and I overheard. Actually I had gone to the kitchen to have something to eat and Bou hushed her up and shooed me away. So I just came out of the kitchen and stood there with my ear pressed to the wall. She was saying that the man was a demon. He used to come to this locality two years back . Two kids had gone missing then and never been found. The police had arrested him but he was released soon. Sakhi was saying ask baby not ot look into his eyes ever, he will cast an evil spell on her and then she will disappear too. Bou was just listening to her quietly saying haan , hmm every now and then. I got scared a little and ran off to my room. Reema called in the evening. She said I had got highest marks in maths. I was sooo happy. J J. I told her about what sakhi had said about the coconut water man. She said he had been there today also. We both decided not to look at him tomorrow on our way back from school.







No comments:

Post a Comment