Sunday, November 14, 2010

Nothing but the Truth


I grew up believing that saying the truth under all circumstances was not the right thing to do, it was the only thing to do. I was fed on ethics, morality and values and the importance of each of these in our professional and personal lives. I guess it's sort of unwritten rule somewhere that parents and teachers should preach about the virtues of being truthful to children, especially when they are in an impressionable age. My experiences with being truthful leave me feeling a little unsure about preaching that to my children.
I mean well here, I am absolutely sure I will not advocate the advantages of being compulsive liars but yeah I have my reservations about truth.
As a child I tried really hard. But it wasn't my fault. Sometimes being truthful proved to be very expensive. Lying in comparison was cakewalk. and retribution was not always swift and fast and in the long run everything averages out including retribution. Seriously, what's the big deal about being truthful anyways?
Its just being glorified and who can prove that it is better than lying. Lying can be equally or at times more noble:
1. It saves you from trouble
2. Saves you from a lot of sticky situations
3.Spares you from having to give a lot of explanation
4.Helps you salvage things/situations you might have screwed up.
5.Also helps get your friends/family out of trouble
6.Sometimes saying the truth can actually make matters very comlicated
7.Sometimes people are just better of not knowing the truth.
8.And at times it needs a lot of courage to come out with the truth and own up to past mistakes or admit to past wrongs and it is especially hurts bad in these situations when people do not apprecitae your honesty, truthfulness and courage, rather they will go on and make your life miserable because they can't handle the truth or don't like the truth.

I guess I can add a few more points there but I think I have pretty much made the point. I believe that saying the truth is not the brightest idea always. It is ok to lie as long as it is not done with malicious intent. It is not right or wrong but contextual. Surrender to the situation and be your own judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment